January 22, 2011

Random Soapbox for Saturday 1/22/11

I don't mean to go off on a [new theme-week launching] rant here, but ...

... I am worried about how political correctness has permeated every cranny of our lexiconical culture. I tossed and turned about what to name this new theme week, as I was chastised for using the word Oriental incorrectly a few years ago. "Oriental describes a thing -- Asians describe people!", I was informed. But since theme week is a thing, I feel I can use the word Oriental to describe it without incurring the wrath of the PC police.

And -- as someone who feels most comfortable riding the middle, seeking consensus as I think it translates to progress, happily swinging on the pendulum so long as it doesn't sway too far to either extreme -- I can see how a people might be offended by having an identifying word chosen by others. [My favorite Batman (and I have a lot from which to choose) is the serialized black and white version from WWII where he and Robin fought the "shifty slant-eyes". It's not my favorite because I have a thing against Pacific-Rim-folk, but because it illustrates the power of propaganda to reach every corner of of our culture.]

I'm sure I would have a much stronger opinion if I had a deep personal connection to someone who was "fill-in-the-blank"-challenged, but it's hard to be personally hurt when I'm such a mixed up mongrel as it relates to cultural identity. No one's really picking on the Prussians in modern times, if you know what I mean.

Bottom line -- let's see if I can get through a series of six posts without offending. Challenge accepted.

SPOILER ALERT -- YOU'LL LIKELY FIND THIS RACIST:
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Complete-Movie-Serial-Collection/product-reviews/B000AQOHNA

IN WASHINGTON STATE, THE 'O' WORD IS ILLEGAL:
http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_article.html?article_id=143

PERHAPS I SPOKE TOO SOON ABOUT THOSE PRUSSIANS IN MY PAST:
http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=1231684&page=1

No comments:

Post a Comment