January 31, 2011

Random Memorial for Monday 1/31/11

Gone but not forgotten: my super-market loyalty.

Maybe this is better placed on one of those websites where you share your deep dark secrets anonymously, but I cheated last week. Instead of the twice a month trips to Jewel, it was Dominick's that took my grocery money. [What can I say -- they sent me some really good coupons.] Ultimately, I wasn't satisfied enough to make a shop-swap, so I'll be back to Jewel soon enough. But I still have to deal with the fact that I let some cheap food store hussy take me away from the place where my bread normally gets buttered (or margarined nowadays). And while I'm sharing Chicago based grocery infidelities, I have rationalized the occasional afternoon delights with Strack and VanTil a few times a year because she gives me something no else will -- Lebanon Bologna.

After seeing an hour long special on CNBC currently in rotation, it made me think about my past behavior too. Funny how you become aligned with certain establishments -- Karnes for the few years I lived in Harrisburg, Giant Eagle for the time I spent in Uniontown, Giant (without the eagle) back in my hometown ... and now Walgreens is set to get into the grocery business to address blighted areas in urban locations experiencing a dearth of fresh food. High up on their priority list as announced just this week -- Big Flats beer, the Walgreens brand selling for less than 50cents a can. Taking bets now -- how soon until the homeless vendors start accepting two cans in exchange for this week's Streetwise?

Shopping trips done guilt-free without reminders of my infidelities, you are missed.

THEY ARE WATCHING YOU SHOP!:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/40887785/

BUY BIG FLATS AT YOUR OWN RISK (WALGREEN'S WINE COMING SOON):
http://consumerist.com/2011/01/walgreens-to-sell-their-own-brand-of-beer-for-50can.html

I'M GOING TO HELL FOR MOCKING STEETWISE, SO PLEASE DONATE IN MY NAME:
http://www.streetwise.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment