November 7, 2010

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 11/7/10

What Chicago is talking about this week:

"Thar's gold in them thar exhibits!" It's day 2 of Theme Week: Museum Musings, and it was a blast to see the new temporary main exhibit at Chicago's Field Museum last Friday. Things I learned:

1) I knew about the San Francisco gold rush, but was actually surprised to see the information about the earlier one in Georgia! Somehow I missed that part of history when I was growing up, possibly because it was an east coast version of how badly we treated the natives.

2.) The most memorable parts for me were the sunken treasure (exhibited in a water tank display to prove the point that there's little damage decades after it arrived in Davey Jones' locker [btw -- not Davey the Monkee]) and the Academy, Emmy, Golden Globe and Olympic medals on display (having indefinitely postponed any career in entertainment, it may be the closest I get).

3.) For anyone unhappy that they've packed on a few pounds (I pretend I've done it to prepare for the cold cold winter ahead in Chicago -- and my fear is I'll double in size now that I'm working from home where I can graze all day), be sure to stop by the final room to determine the value of your weight in gold (for me, I'm up to about 4.5 million dollars)! It was all the more "meta" since gold is measured in ... wait for it ... troy ounces!

GEORGIA GOVERNOR FREE TO TAKE LAND FROM CHEROKEES (FOR THE GOLD!!):
http://content.sos.state.ga.us/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/adhoc&CISOPTR=14&CISOSHOW=11

EXHIBIT ACTIVE UNTIL MARCH 6, 2011:
http://www.examiner.com/midwest-getaways-in-chicago/go-for-the-gold-at-the-field-museum-chicago

FIND YOUR VALUE IN GOLD:
http://www.onlygold.com/tutorialpages/yourweightingold.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment