September 29, 2010

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 9/29/10

Bob's your uncle!

Used in a sentence: "Even though your position was just eliminated, all you have to do is trust the system, access the portal, have a conversation and await the phone call with the new job offer, and then Bob's your uncle."

Thanks to my current BBCAmerica fix of Come Dine with Me (well, that show and The Choir both have allowed me to explore British humour and sensibilities this summer/fall), I've learned that "Robert's your father's brother" (and it's weakened version as listed above) is a commonly used summary statement affixed to a simple list of instructions, or (from the first link below) "straightforwardly obtaining a successful result".

I'm hard pressed to find the exact American idiomatic match, but perhaps "do not pass go, do not collect $200" is a distant cousin (or nephew, to keep the theme going). And, by that reference, you know that I haven't embraced the Revolution Edition of Monopoly released this year (a circle board? no bank? collect 2 million dollars instead of $200?).

[By the way, I can't yet discuss the impetus for the sentence used tonight, but don't be surprised if I change my job title (same company) in my FB info in the next few weeks.]

IDIOM FINDER for BOB's YOUR UNCLE:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bobs-your-uncle.html

AN AMERICAN VERSION IS PROMISED FOR 2011:
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2010/05/26/bbc-america-launches-us-production-of-come-dine-with-me/20100526bbca02/

2010 MONOPOLY REVOLUTION EDITION:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98034-Monopoly-Revolution-Edition-Boasts-Round-Board-Digital-Banker-No-Fun

No comments:

Post a Comment