July 29, 2010

Random Thought for Thursday 7/29/10

Sometimes I think that I'm the inspiration for the phrase "too clever for your own good" (part 5).

Take my recent experience in my new (used) Dodge Caliber. I had bought it the new-fangled way (online, sight unseen, from a dealer in Ohio who drove it to Chicago for me), and fought back my skepticism that it was a scam at each turn along the way. I took it on the road for the first time to run errands, loading it up and taking it on the highway. Hitting 70 for the first time, the dashboard monitor suddenly flashed "9 ate", and I immediately started to panic. My first thought was that it was the moment I would learn my new car bought so modernly was a lemon (despite its sunburst orange color). Then my mind immediately went to an image of the tires flying off because I had somehow gotten it to its maximum speed. But at no time could I decipher what my car was trying to tell me. What was 9 -- a reference to a speed? A sector on the car? And what was eaten? Was a belt ready to snap? I drove with trepidation, sure only of the fact that my demise was imminent and that my only salvation was to solve the riddle being provided me.

It took me way too long to figure out that I hadn't closed the hatchback door properly, and that my car was warning me to check the "gate".

DODGE CALIBER SUPPORT GROUP?:
http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=8425

MORE IMPORTANT "9 ATE" WARNING LIGHTS:
http://kansascity.injuryboard.com/mass-transit-accidents/update-cn-railroad-officials-admit-warning-lights-gate-not-working-in-deadly-chicago-train-crash.aspx?googleid=280486

No comments:

Post a Comment