May 13, 2010

Random Thought for Thursday 5/13/10

After having just started a multi-state vacation (I flew to Florida out of the thunderstorms in Chicago this morning on what was practically a roller-coaster effect take-off -- if riding a roller coaster meant that you thought your death was imminent because the plane you were in was about to break up in the sky -- and will return to Chitown by driving through that state and Georgia and Kentucky and Ohio and Indiana), my thoughts turned to Rip Torn.

Why? Because, over the course of the next few days, "multi-state" is going to also refer to my state of being. Sometimes I'll be relaxed (by the pools daring skin cancer to have its way with me), sometimes I'll be tranquil (by those same pools not thinking about work or deadlines or obligations), sometimes I'll be performing (I am "that guy" who sings along in strident voce -- if that's the opposite of sotto voce while driving), and sometimes I'll be inebriated. So much so, I might add, that I will be sure to think of the cautionary tale that is Rip Torn.

As you may recall, Rip was arrested in his home town after "breaking into a bank that he thought was his house". He was rather drunk (as he's known to be around town in that "Look, there goes Elmore [his real name] all snookered again --what a friendly old coot and curmudgeon!" kind of way) and, in his defense, the "bank" was a two story house that bore a resemblance to his own, as you can see in the link below.

May I have just enough fun to return to my temporary vacation domiciles no matter what they may look like to me in no matter what state of mind in which I find myself. Ahhh ... vacation!

RIP TORN HOUSE COMPARED TO RIP TORN BANK HEIST SPOT:
http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

LIST OF ALCOHOL LAWS BY US STATE:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States_by_state

No comments:

Post a Comment