April 24, 2010

Random Soapbox for Saturday 4/24/10

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... who are you to censor my comics? Who are you to stifle the creative, the envelope-pushers, the instigators, the make-you-stop-and-think folks? Look -- I didn't like Roseanne when I was younger (she reminded me too much of the step-mother in my life), but I've come to appreciate her in my later years because she was insistent on using her artistic platform to make you uncomfortable. And that's what creative people do across many forums.

Instead of commenting on the recent turn of events with South Park creators and their depiction of Islam's #1 guy (believe me, I don't have any resources to devote to protecting myself from a fatwa, so I have nothing but respect for him and any of his prophet brethren), I'll stay true to theme week and provide links to recent censorship of comics -- Opus, Doonesbury and Tank McNamara. And I'm in true "bite the hand that feeds you" mode, since the three examples before are instances where the Washington Post did the censoring (Kaplan, the company for which I work, is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Post).

Moving forward, how about you let me decide the level of controversy in my Sunday funnies? How about you let me choose to define where lines are drawn? How about you let me experience the ability to have my thoughts challenged by the creativity of others?

WASHINGTON POST CENSORS 'OPUS':
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294779,00.html

WASHINGTON POST CENSORS 'DOONESBURY':
http://www.ihatethemedia.com/washington-post-censor-doonesbury-comic-strip

WASHINGTON POST CENSORS 'TANK MCNAMARA':
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2009/08/why_you_wont_see_dick_cheney_o.html

WASHINGTON POST CENSORS 'CAPRICIOUS COGNITION':
[this place saved for link in case this is consequence of today's post]

No comments:

Post a Comment