March 22, 2010

Random Memorial for Monday 3/22/10

Gone but not forgotten: Weaver's Chicken Croquettes.

Look, I'm from a chicken family. My grandmother chopped their heads off in the back yard, one uncle had a Neidermyers restaurant and another still has a stand in the farmers' markets. My biological father's livelihood was managing a poultry processing plant (in the town of Fredericksburg, PA that somehow represented capitalism by supporting three competing plants back in the day). I think we were broasting it long before anyone else (admittedly, a boastful broasting claim) and I think I could eat it in one form or another for every meal. But one of my favorite meals of my youth was the croquette -- and I think Weaver's just cleaned up the floor of their plants, mashed all the miscellany together and shaped it into a lump o' something with breading that was packaged with a radioactive yellow chicken gravy that microwaved into deliciousness. By the time you got to the third croquette, you realized you were eating something odd, but the first two (especially swimming in the good gooey gravy) stood alone as a little bit of heaven. Apparently, this part of my past was discontinued in 2006 and I may never get to eat them again.


Chicken based lump o' joy, you are missed.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=52412092593&ref=mf

No comments:

Post a Comment