February 27, 2010

Random Soapbox for Saturday 2/27/10

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

...I have to join the chorus of people who recognize that the definition of adjective is "the part of speech that modifies a noun by limiting, qualifying, or specifying". For those who understand that basic concept, it naturally follows that when the noun getting modified is "whale", then the modifier "killer" helps to qualify and specify the TYPE of whale. With all respect to the grieving family [and before I'm called a hypocrite for housing the menagerie that I've raised over the years (the place in Lebanon by Big Bertha's once housed a ferrett, American Box turtle, American Staffordshire and kitten I found in the Mt. Gretna woods all at once), let me say that they were primarily domesticated] ... wild animals belong in the wild. I get the whole zoo concept, but I think "aw, look at that cute critter showing off to everyone by pacing in his cage back and forth" quickly turns to "oh no, that poor thing is displaying OCD tendencies because of the stress of being locked up". Even the pic of the polar bear of which I am so proud in my FB "day at the zoo" photo album was easily taken because he was being predictable as he took loop after loop around his confines, as if repeating the path would somehow lead him to the way out. Said another way, for each "lion named Christian" youtube video, there's multiple Fox style specials of "when wild animals attack". We're the consumers of this corybantic captivity -- [that's an adjective I just learned tonight] -- so we can turn off the demand if we rise to that challenge.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AmazingAnimals/seaworld-curator-dawn-brancheau-ponytail-caused-fatal-killer-whale-attack/story?id=9934382

No comments:

Post a Comment