February 22, 2010

Random Memorial for Monday 2/22/10

Gone but not forgotten: Walter Fredrick Morrison.

He died at the age of 90 at his home in Utah this month, but he contributed more to my youth than he knew. Mind you that I am not of the group that took it to the ultimate level, but I can distinctly recall having in my possession for years one of his creations emblazoned with ... the Sundae flavors of McDonalds! As the years went by, more and more marketers found their way to me so that I would "play" with their advertisement, but that's modern times. In many ways, it's rather fitting as the name of the toy was based on a pie company and as the original prototype was an empty pie tin. I guess one could say that toy-as-marketing-tool was almost pre-destined.

Regardless, founder of the frisbee, you will be missed.

http://www.nndb.com/people/798/000163309/

No comments:

Post a Comment