January 23, 2010

Random Soapbox for Saturday 1/23/10

I don't mean to go off on a (super-long) rant here, but ...

... if Whitney was right and the children are our future, how confident are we that we've done our duty to prepare them for that life? I just spent the morning over a copier having a candid conversation with an assistant principal of a CPS high school (my work is servicing a new contract to deliver test prep to them in my area), and I was gobsmacked by the extra challenges at play. Between resource allocation concerns, gangland influences and systemic politics, it sure doesn't sound like the high school experience into which I escaped growing up.

Of course, I have to assume that there are individuals attracted to that line of work because they truly care about the kids (and who am I kidding, in this situation and for this generation, innocence gets lost as early as the weaning process it seems - so they're really more like Shetland adults) -- but even for those called to the profession, I'm sure that they don't offer classes on dealing with those types of issues in educator school.

Maybe it's hard for me to relate because I was a professional student for most of my life -- hell, I only stopped when the federal government tapped me on the shoulder and said, "you've borrowed your lifetime maximum, son" -- but I guess the only solace I can take is that the success stories, when they happen, must just be that much more meaningful. I'm not naive -- and I'm trying not to be grouchy old man attempting to conjure up a national Mayberry app by any means -- but I am suggesting we rally around some new construct for ensuring that youth are taught well, that they are shown all the beauty they possess inside, with a sense of pride to make it easier ... anyway, you know what I mean.

http://www.helium.com/knowledge/107639-challenges-in-american-public-high-schools-today

No comments:

Post a Comment