September 21, 2013

Random Posting for Penn State 9/21/13

Here are 9 Nittany Nuggets from today's game!

1.)  That sign over there -- that's for you announcermen.  Please understand that some of your viewers are now twice as old as those players on the field and may be experiencing some hard-of-hearing symptoms, so when Kent State plays Penn State and you attempt to add your two cents over the sounds of the game and the crowd, I need to hear those team names enunciated so as not to get confused.
2.)  What's a little rain for?  How's about a shut-out!  Admittedly, not as much of a shut-out as The Ohio State had today, but let's face it, JoePa would never run the score up *that* high (to 76?!?).  Wait a minute ... that statement is anachronistic and a little sad.
3.)  Atta boy FICKEN!  (At halftime, I thought I might not get to give my weekly "atta boy" to my favorite player, but then he got his career longest FG, and so all is right with my world.)
4.)  Although if I had an "atta boy" to spare, I'd most certainly be sending it ZWINAK's way.
5.)  One of the announcermen described HACKENBERG's run to the sidelines as a scamper.  Is that pejorative or just descriptive?  Discuss.
6.)  Far be it from me to be an armchair quarterback, as I don't have an armchair and I've never been a quarterback, but I will say that I sometimes wonder to whom it is you're throwing, young HACKENBERG.
7.)  I love that the referee sign for "ineligible receiver downfield" is to pat your head a few times.  I cannot lie -- my immediate next thought was whether there was one that required a ref to pat his head and rub his belly at the same time -- and my thought after that, was, if so, I bet you that's part of the standardized referee graduation test.
8.)  It's a rare man that looks good with long hair (and that's not just hair envy from this balding beauty), but I have to think it's a hazard on the field.  Can't you guys tuck it in or put a side pony under the helmet or something?
9.)  So it's a Sophie's choice of sorts, eh?  Spare the head, spoil the knee?  To avoid concussions, tackle low -- which may result in more knee injuries.  I get it, kind of, but I think we're headed down a slippery slope toward tackling only via a foot grab (which I did see many times today) ... or ... well ... you know ... flag football!

In closing, thanks boys for the display of dueling interceptions in that I'd rather see my banjos or pianos dueling, but if it's going to happen, at least it's mostly a net zero effect in the game ... and the countdown to our next post-season game in 2016 stands at just 44 more games!

THE RECAP, INCLUDING THE MENTION OF THE FICKEN RECORD:
http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2013/09/penn_state_vs_kent_state_updat.html

OK BOYS ... TAPE UP THOSE KNEES:
http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/14/4/262.abstract

SPEAKING OF SCAMPER:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEJSFPaHZTU&list=FLRgPK9vSjjsGdjqs0Awk9uA&index=4

No comments:

Post a Comment